Tuesday, July 12, 2005

NEW nursing note of the day

Just for Sabrina, I will attempt to put down something interesting from work each day that I am there. I need to be a little more attentive to my blog, so here goes.........

Today I admitted publicly for the first time at work that after taking care of a 'Terry Schiavo"-like patient (not QUITE as bad, but close...she could blink yes or no once in a while), who had a trach and TONS of nasty phlegm/respiratory goo coming out at all time that was uncontainable and unbelievably nasty (when she coughed, which was frequently, if the face tent that she had on to give her some extra oxygen was't perfectly centered on her, the goo that was coughed up would fly out of her trach and across the room. We literally had to DODGE it.) Anyway, after taking care of this unfortunate lady for a 12 hour shift (where the respiratory therapist who was seeing her every 4 hours said seeing her made him depressed, and he hoped that no one in HIS family loved him enough to do CPR on him when he was already so far gone, as she had been), and gagging frequently at the sight and feel of slimy nasty icky mucousy nasty-ness coming from her trach CONSTANTLY, I was unable to make out with my husband. No exchanging 0f slobber in any way. For just a day or so. I didn't want to gag on him. And I would have. It was so nasty!!

Chew on that..........

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Oh that is DISGUSTING!! For the record... if my brain is dead, the rest of my body should be as well..... that's how I see it.