Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Added a couple pics this morning. I still haven't looked through all of them, but I have played with a couple. I am supposed to be finishing up the scraproom, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. Yesterday, Ethan did all the upstairs trim (we just need to do the entry door and entry trim), and I applied a clear varnish/wood protector to the scraproom wood and the two wood banister thingies that we sanded down and restained to match the trim. That stuff is awful!! Before I started, we opened EVERY window in the house and the garage door. It didn't help.....it has been almost 16 hours since I did it, and the house still smells STRONGLY of that stuff. A sickly sweet smell that is horrible and makes your eyes water. I went until the little can was empty--got both banisters and the West wall of the scraproom, and did not buy any more. I am going back to Home Depot to see if they have any versions without the cloying smell. If not, I may wait a week or two before doing it again. Seriously--it is AWFUL. I was concerned that the cats might actually be dead this morning when I opened up the bedroom door. They weren't, but they are not too happy about the smell, I am sure......
I do have to say that the areas in the scraproom that are coated do look quite nice. It really helps bring out the color and variations within the wood.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Can you do it in the garage then install them after?

Maybe get a couple of fans going?

alyca said...

seeing as how Mom attached them to each other and the walls with over 250 screws, I don't think that is an option.....I DID, however, purchase another can of goop, but this time it is water-based, and I am told that it will hav MUCH less smell and be alltogether better and easier than the oil based crap I bought last time. I also bought a cheap clip-on lamp to use. It is cute and small and I know I will need more light right at the desk, so I was excited to come across it as I left Home Depot.

Sabrina said...

Oh.. I was thinking trim, like thin strips of wood that go around the floor....