Monday, August 28, 2006

Ethan and I have talked about so many things. We will be the most planned out parents in the history of the world. We have seriously talked at length about how to deal with our kids and issues of diversity, potty training, discipline, if they don't like sports, if they are gay, if they have Downs Syndrome, even if we end up with a kid with primodial dwarfism. Seriously. We know what we will do if they are short, or if they are conjoined, if they start smoking, talk back, or just love us completely. We talk about all this stuff. That having been said, we aren't having these kids any time soon. We talked and thought for years about getting married, then had a 20 month engagement. We are thinkers, careful planners. (Although we did decide and then purchase our house in a matter of 4 days, signed paperwork to purchase it within an hour of first setting eyes on it, but that is just a HOUSE!)

I just really miss Ethan. He is working 11am to 11pm for a while now (since last Thursday), so I don't see him. When I wake up, I kiss him goodbye, and when he comes home, I am fast asleep (he may or may not kiss me goodnight--I am a pretty deep sleeper). I make him chicken and potatoes or rice and leave it in the oven to stay warm, and leave him notes to tell him where to find the food, and any other little bits I need to tell him. We usually talk via phone once a day or so while we are at work, and sometimes we run into each other there, but usually we are too busy actually *working* to try to see each other. It kinda sucks. The money is good, but mainly the experience is the part that is important. Ethan may someday work this job that he is doing now (makes more money, has a very wide range of knowledge involved, you need to be knowledgeable in locksmithing, as an electrician, machinist, plumber, and general handyman), anyway, it is a good thing. Ethan wants to do it, so I support him. But I miss him. There are only so many evenings you can spend at home alone before you begin to miss your spouse. I have scrapbooked myself into a creative corner (well, my computer overheated and the dvd player is not working, so I can't watch a movie whilst I scrapbook, and that means I am just sitting in a 4x5 room scrapping. Sadly enough, I need more stimulous than that), so I am done with that for a minute, and the computer is crappy and barely works, and I don't want to watch TV (although I am....), and the book I am reading right now is interesting, but not just *drawing* so that I MUST read it right now(The Odyssey). So.

On the good side, I am now the daughter of the 2006 USDBF national champion, which is nice (although she is not answering her phone, and I KNOW she is home, since I got an email from orbitz.com telling me her flight times {I bought the plane ticket on my credit card so I could get the air miles, and she paid me back, but since I bought it, I get all the reminders for the trip}). I am sure I will speak with her soon.......

Mom, I am so proud of you. One of my coworkers is a breast cancer survivor, and she recently did a triathalon up here that was breast cancer related, and was so excited and showing me pictures of her racing and talking about how she just can't wait to do it again (she is in her 40's, a great woman, especially now that she is no longer one of the assistant nurse managers on the ortho units, she works for the limited stay unit that I cover and is much less stressed out now), anyway, she was showing me these pictures and I got to talking about how MY mom was a world class paddler and was talking about doing a triathlon, so we were brainstorming how to do the biking bit (we think you could do a tandem bike with mom in back and the sighted person on front, but not peddling. Not quite fair, lots of extra weight to peddle, but it would keep you from being in the *special* category of finishers), anyway I told her that you won the championship and she was really excited for you and quite impressed.

I don't know. I am lonely and bored and sick of being home alone. The cats are only so much company. And it is too hard to be around the Boo kitty right now. His last vet appointment(s) cost us $350 to find out that he is relatively healthy, but very underweight. We bought a new cat food that is made with oatmeal and cranberries and duck and stuff like that, and it is supposed to be very digestable and hopefully would make him stop puking up all his food, so he could get back to a normal weight. But he won't eat it. I mixed it with the old dry food (as instructed), but he just picks out the old ones and leaves the new stuff. I bought some wet food from the same company, and they both sorta eat that one, but never finish it all the way. I broke down and bought some of the old wet food, and Boo scarfs that down. He eats, but seems to get tired and takes breaks, whereas Shadow just eats and eats and stops when he is done eating. Poor Boo is just too frantic. I worry about him. He is so skinny right now. He isn't puking, I haven't found any puke since we switched food (that was his problem before), but I am not entirely sure that he is actually eating. I can feel his vertebrae very clearly. His teeny hips, his ribs. He is skinny in the back like a greyhound, where you see them from the side and their belly comes up to meet their legs. Just so skinny. I know he is okay, since he still has lots of energy and runs around and plays with Shadow and is his regular self, but he is just so skinny, it scares me to pet him. I feel bad for him. Whatever happened to him as a kitten, it will never leave him. He will always be the Boo kitty, always so scared. At the vets, he had lost 3 pounds in 18 months, form 11.5 to 8.5 pounds. They took blood, which looked okay, except for his kidney functions were a bit off. They we brought him back to get some urine, which showed that his kidneys ARE functioning, but he was a bit dehydrated. Which all comes because our stupid cats will only drink water from the bowl in the downstairs bathroom. We keep a full dish upstairs by their food, but they won't touch it. The bottom one will get bone dry, and they will just go without rather than touching the upstairs bowl. Stupid cats. So, now we are paranoid and always right on top of the bowl downstairs being full. We love our Boo kitty, and just want to make him happy.

Anyway. This is the ranting you get today. Trying to keep the blog up, you know......

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Aww, I'm sorry you're bored at home!I hope Boo kitty starts feeling better soon! Maybe he's just a slender guy? Sucks about your computer! And kids... glad you talked about all those possibilities! Good to be prepared.. although some things you can never prepare for. I thought for sure I'd have my kid potty trained before 2, but in real life things aren't like you plan them in your head... I knew and planned for MY actions, but you can never plan for how your child will act,you know? But looks like you are getting as prepared as someone can be! RE: Mom.. yes, that is SO cool!!

Davinie Fiero said...

VERY PROUD OF MOM!!! Wish I could go to Australia.....

I'm wondering what all the money is for..... sounds like both of you work as much as you can.... but why? Your life is passing you by while you are working too hard. Sure, overtime pay is great, but that means that you are working more than 40 hours a week to get overtime...... what are you doing with it? You only get to live your life one time.

That aside, I think you need to sign up for some sort of class. You live in Seattle, a mecca for all your hearts desires, there must be some sort of class you could sign up for. A scrapbooking class (I bet your scrapbook store has crops and classes you could sign up for), a photography class, an aerobics class (endorphins are your friend)..... I think you need to do some soul nurturing. Especially if Ethan has plans to work like a dog for a while.

As for your kitties, don't fret. If the vet says they are healthy, Boo is just thin.... maybe he's just being a pill. Just love him and nip him every once in a while.

Take care kid.