Wednesday, May 12, 2010



Monday was our last full day in Germany. I started out by memorizing the German word for sunscreen (sonnenschutz), and walked to the nearby pharmacy (apotheke), where they took one look at me and directed me to the sunscreen. I also got some much appreciated aloe vera. Later, we took the train back to St Goar, then caught the small ferry that takes people and vehicles across the river to town of St Goarshausen. Since we had a while before our train came, we had lunch here. Don’t remember what it was, but it was good…

We took the train to the town of Braubach, where Marksburg castle is located. This is the one un-ruined/unconquered castle on the Rhine river. We wandered through town for a while, then finally found a taxi to take us up the steep and windy road to the castle on a bluff overlooking the town. They have an English language tour every day at 1600, and we arrived with about 15 minutes to spare.

The tour was awesome. We learned a ton about castles in general, and life back in the 1300s and beyond. Definitely one of the highlights of Germany for us. After the tour, we bought a small resin replica of this castle as a little souvenir to remind us of our Germany visit.

From here, it was a taxi back to town, then a train again to St Goarshausen, ferry to St Goar…..then a quick stop for a bottle of wine, then train back to Bacharach.

2 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

Oh, my poor little beet.

Sabrina said...

Okay I lied. When you blow it up you can totally see your insane sun burn... You should find a regular lotion that has an spf in it already instead of switching from a plain lotion and a strictly SPF.. I use the Oil of Olay anti aging face lotion and it has an spf 15 so I never have to worry if I've remembered my SPF...