Wednesday, May 12, 2010



My plan in Boppard was to take the Sesselbahn, or chair lift; up to a viewpoint called the four lakes viewpoint. The Rhine river makes such a big U-turn here, it looks like you can see 4 distinct lakes, which is actually just the serpentine river. Anyway, we walked through this slightly larger town toward the lift. This was a bit of a mistake. I didn’t really think about the fact that Ethan does not really like heights, especially when you are on a sort of ski-lift apparatus. He was not pleased with this plan. But, he toughed it out and we made the ~15 minute trek to the top. At the top, there was a restaurant, so we sat cliff-side and had some wine--mine was blackberry wine and was lovely.

There was a lot of wind up here, which is why I couldn’t feel the heat of the sun on me, and was burnt to a crisp. A crisp. Blisters and all. Worst sunburn since high school. For some reason, I didn’t bring any sunscreen with me at all. When I go to Mexico or some beach vacation, I don’t bring any lotion whatsoever except sunscreen, and that has worked well for me--I don’t usually get burned. But in Europe, I was hosed. By the time we got back to the town at the bottom of the chair lift, I knew I was burnt up, but there was nothing I could do about it.

No comments: